Monday, July 9, 2007

Ames, IA (Build Day)

Well, my legs are happy as can be taking the day off. Everyone has demonstrated remarkable napping skills on various terrain and regardless of background commotion due the the past 7 straight days of riding. Being a bit tired myself, I need a calculator to add up the total mileage, so here's the breakdown of the mileage from the past week: 77-48-64-87-102-83-43. Yup, that's a lot for me.

I feel like there are many aspects of the trip that I accept as commonplace, but that you (those not on the trip) wouldn't know anything about. Last night, my chore group was assigned to give a presentation to our hosts. These presentations aren't directed by our leaders; it's up to us to coordinate together to give information about Bike & Build, our cause, fundraising and where the money goes, a day in the life, and how we impact and are impacted by the communities we visit. The past few presentations have been getting increasingly better in their succinct message about poverty housing (as opposed to simply sharing fun stories from the road). Our presentation went smoothly, and in my opinion it stands the best, thus far.

Weather permitting we will be helping Habitat for Humanity pound nails and frame a local house today. The storm has served us well though by giving us some free time this morning, and hopefully cooling off the weather for the next few days ahead.

I feel that the next week will be chock full of long rides. Legs, rest up fast!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was an interesting and enjoyable presentation. Thanks!

Anj from First Christian Church in Ames