Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Lusk, WY (82 miles)

I really enjoyed the views today as the buttes rose out of the horizon; we could feel the approach of the Rockies! The wind was kind and the sun gently hid behind spotty clouds. I felt good enough to eat a 1/2 typical B&B breakfast (equal to about half a day's worth of cereal and banana for the average person), which served me well for the first half of the ride. However, I bonked hard up the only hill (very mild grade, but 3 miles long) because my core had no energy from not eating much yesterday. (I had been feeling queasy for a few days prior.) So I took it easy the rest of the ride. We played some word games to make the ride more enjoyable.

Having been slightly sick recently, it makes me more aware of how well everything else works. I become far more appreciative of not suffering severe knee problems, numb hands, or prohibitive saddle sores. Slight injuries are a great reminder that larger injuries have been dodged. On that note, we all are so grateful for the delicious meals, friendly folk, and sleeping quarters every night.

I didn't have my cyclocomputer in a spot where I could see it, so I rode the whole day not knowing how fast or how far I was going. Usually, I'm pretty unconsiously obsessive about this data under the guise that I need it to make the right turns according to our cue sheet. However, since our route was to take 81.5 miles on Route 20 westbound, I figured I could go without for a day. I enjoyed letting my body tell me how fast or slow to go, instead of my spedometer. I also found that I relaxed about "the miles left to go" before it gets hot, because all I could do was ride the same pace, anyway. I think I'll try this again while the route is a straight-shot, as a way to focus more in the moment.

Oh, did we mention we did 566 miles last week, but who's counting?

Upon reaching our destination I promptly downed a Gatorade and took a siesta. This has become my enjoyable post-ride practice, as of late. I further enjoyed a ridiculously cold popsicle (which clung to my lips so surprisingly well I lost some skin to it) and a trip to the local library. While waiting for dinner, in a lethargic state, I slid into a teeny room packed with couches to watch a few episodes of "the Office". Us being used to close quarters, weren't phased one bit as the room filled quickly past the typical occupancy, threefold.

Dinner was delicious! We had a great pasta dish with veggies and chicken, plus a rice-salad-esque mix with fruit, and so much more! Oh, did http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifI mention Snickerdoodles! Delicious!

During dinner I had the pleasure of talking with Loydaine (I hope I spelled your name right!) and learned some crazy stuff about the Wyoming weather. Apparently, it could snow any month of the year in these parts, and still be 50ยบ on Christmas! 50-60 mph winds aren't uncommon, and consequentially, the weather can change drastically with short notice. Loydaine and Tom have been fantastically helpful in coordinating our stay and just wait to hear what they set up for us tomorrow night....

(Visit bikeandbuild.org for the rest of the group journal entries.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Chief,

I'm back online and catching up with your very well-tracked blogs. Sounds like one heck of a time you're having with the trek. Kudos to you and all your fellow volunteers who are dedicating this time to those in need. Keep up the good work & keep the rubber on the road!

-Patrick

Shelby Rhyne said...

Hoping you're feeling better...since Logan's blog is woefully neglected, the Rhyne family is riding shotgun with you guys who are keeping up the journalling...thanks and hope you're filling top notch as Wyoming unfolds before you.

Shelby (Logan's Mom)

Anonymous said...

Hey Evan,

You all are doing a fantastic job. I can't imagine riding that mileage, let alone with the flu. I'm glad you're feeling better.

I took your suggestion and turned my bike computer to cadence (which hasn't worked in weeks). It's so easy to focus on speed and mileage and better to focus on the rhythm your body needs to keep.

Ride safe. Love, Mom