Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Don't Ride Close in Towns!

Ok, so last week was pretty rough. Sorry I haven't written in a while. I backdated this blog to the relevant day.

There we are, the 3 swing lunch cyclists, heading out for a quick ride, venting and laughing as we go. I picked up the pace a bit as I got into my rant, then slowed down a bit to make sure not to loose the other 2. Keith flew by me shortly thereafter, and I naturally jumped in line - careful to leave at least a bike length back and a few feet to the side as we were approaching Concord center. Within seconds I catch a glimpse of white coming to a screeching stop over his left shoulder. (A car going the opposite direction had stopped just short of taking a left turn that would have surely flattened us.) As Keith swerved right and threw on the brakes, I reached for my brakes - less than an inch from my fingers, yet too far. I had just touched the levers when his bike was next to mine and then his front wheel turned sideways. A split second later I was thinking, "So this is what it feels like to crash on a road bike going pretty fast." Our bikes, with us on them, were quickly horizontal, and just when I thought James might be able to avoid adding to the pile-up, his front wheel was over my back tire.

I was more concerned about the condition of my new bike than my heath directly afterwards. I guess I'm lucky to be thinking that way. I had the slightest scrapes ever possible, and some late onset whiplash (always wear a helmet!). Keith was sent to the hospital with a chip on the wrist and a fractured elbow.

My bike saw some $350 of repair at International Bike in Brighton, and it still should have a new front wheel, too. Wow. 3 seconds and all that change! Bent handlebars, bent rims, tweaked cog. Days off of riding.

DON'T RIDE CLOSE IN TOWNS!

1 comment:

Keith D. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.