Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Bring Me That Horizon!

"And even though there's no way of knowing where to go, I promise I'm going. Now, bring me that horizon."

Yesterday was my last day of work at Swing Ltd. before the trip. Looking back, it was a great job with fantastic people. And though seemingly haphazard circumstances, working at Swing is what brought me to do Bike and Build.

I started at Swing in February '06 back when I was still living at my parents' house. Since then I have moved twice, and will likely be in a new place when I return from Seattle. I've changed more than just residence in that year, though. I feel that I've become more decisive, proactive, confident, and focused as a way to deal with the stresses of the job and balancing life goals. I also realized just how important it is for me to relax so that I can see things more clearly - solutions will come on their own if I let them.

Highlights from my time at Swing thus far:
• Winning the "Swing River Race Boat Contest": improvised boats floating down the flooded parking lot
• Trading a Powerwheels for a Schwinn
• Manwalks - and letting Will come, too
• Dwainisms
• Calling James' wife at 10pm from a bar to confirm that they met online
• Skateboarding down the warehouse
• Watching Mark skateboard around
• Racing the scooter course
• The pizza-eating challenge
• Horseshoes at lunch
• On a rainy day, getting more wet in front of the design door than walking from my car
• 3something AM working on Saks Off 5th
• The unfortunate timing of Will's comment near the SUV
• Pancakes, pancakes, pancakes!
• PBHB (peanut butter, honey, banana) for months 1-3
• Christmas party trivia game
• Baseball in the field
• Julian's enlightening wisdom
• Fresh baguette sandwiches split with Sarah

Thank you all for a great time, and a productive environment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evan,
I love reading this. Makes me "almost" want to become a cyclist! But too many hills in VT for a novice... Good story about the extra bike! You have a very wise soul! Keep up the great work and keep writing! Your fans are waiting!!!
love,
Claudia