Friday, June 1, 2007

Being Honest Is A Better Fit

So the deal with Bike & Build is that once I raised the first $1000 in donations, they give me a bike (or $ towards one) through a bike shop called Zanes in CT. So I raise my money, choose my Trek 1500, talk to Zanes, and two days later I have two boxes on my doorstep. I figured they shipped the wheels separate from the frame. Nope.

They sent me TWO bikes!!! After careful inspection I figured out that one was the Trek 1500 exactly as I requested (wait, no, they upgraded the derailers for me... sweeeet). And the other was a Trek 4300 mountain bike size 18 (a bit too big for me). As elated to have a new mountain bike as I was, I didn't open it up in case they noticed and wanted it back.

[Quick side note: my previous roommate at Fairmont St was quite the &^%$#@!* and stole my old mountain bike when he moved out while I was at work. Despite reporting the stolen bike to the police, it never materialized into my possession. I figured if I kept the 4300, it would be my comeuppance.]

A few weeks passed with the 4300 sitting in my office, unopened. I wanted to keep it, but I anticipated feeling a bit guilty if I committed to keeping it. I was so busy that I really wasn't intentionally delaying dealing with it - although it did let me know that they had no idea I had it. So I called them and asked about "my shipment of the 4300" to which she replied, "You're all set, do you have any questions?" Well, yes, but I responded that I was quite satisfied.

I couldn't let this go if I was going to be out biking all summer, I didn't want it hanging over me at all. So I called them up again, and told them I had an "extra bike" from their shipment and explained the details of how the label said it was for me, but I hadn't ordered it. They figured out to whom it was supposed to be shipped, and soon it was back en route. I'm quite sorry that someone had to go without a bike due to my delay. A few conversations later I was being asked if there was anything I needed for my 1500, and yesterday I received a nice package in the mail.

As it turns out, the 4300 wouldn't have helped me on my cross-country trek, but the stuff they sent will be very useful. So, thanks Zanes.

No comments: