Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Bag Gloves

Surprisingly, I wasn't that tired when I pulled myself out of bed at 6:08 (after less than a full snooze button cycle). Nor was the cold wet weather too harsh on my sleepy muscles. A quick jog down to the gym, a few weights lifted (not as aggressively as after a frustrating commute) and a quick jog back. Somehow I had figured this would take until 8:15. Somehow I got back at 7:15. Had I been able to calculate this, I would have enjoyed a nice warm stationary bike ride at the gym while reading up on the latest Runner's World for inspiration. That not being the case though....

I jumped on my bike with shorts and short gloves and pushed the wind for a few miles. I am obviously still learning how poor my estimation of windchill is though, as my fingers went to ice within minutes. I stopped by a Starbucks for some warmth and water... but that wouldn't help the icy digits on the way back... Aha! What about a bag over them? I swung into Walgreens and nabbed some "thank you for shopping" bags, tied them up to be the right size and, voila! My new windbreaking "gloves" worked beautifully! (It wasn't until the last few minutes that they were painfully cold again.)

I bet this whole "bag glove" idea will prove to be helpful somewhere between Providence and Seattle as a solution in a pinch.

No comments: