Saturday, April 7, 2007

Bike Options and Cold Weather

On this sunny, yet deceivingly cold day, I tested the fit of the Trek 1000 and 1500 in both the 50cm and 52cm sizes from Belmont Wheel Works. Previously I had anticipated that the 50cm would be the best fit, in accordance with the online frame calculator based on inseam. However well it did fit, it felt somewhat similar in size to my current midget of a bike. In contrast, the first few minutes of the 52cm were quite awkward as I clumsily tried to understand this new size. Soon, though, the 52 started to feel like a Cadillac – with the luxury of room to stretch about, without being detrimental. I must say I'm a bit torn between the two based on sizing. I might need to compare them again unless some good advice justifies erring on either side.

Regarding the rest of the test ride, I particularly noticed the lightweight, ease of shifting, a bit more responsiveness on the hills, and a bit more throw from the roadbumps. Obviously either the 1000 or 1500 would be a great fit in either size, but it will take a bit to get used to the different way that it will ride. It'll be great to have one bike that I can leave at work for lunchtime rides and one for longer weekend rides.

Please leave a comment if you have some good advice on this comparison.

I'm a bit bummed I didn't get out much on the bike this week. I partly blame the weather, but know that I could have ridden indoors. I have to figure out the cold finger issue if I'm going to tough it outside, as yesterday's ride was painfully cold on my fingers despite doubling up on gloves! Hopefully this upcoming week will permit riding to work once or twice as this would be the easiest way to fit the time into my schedule.

Happy Easter Everyone!

1 comment:

Pete said...

Hi Evan,
My sister biked from Seattle to Gloucester with cycleAmerica.com, a great organization. I did Wyoming with them. I recommend you try the Giant OCR2. It has a compact frame and good components (st105). I liked it a lot better than Trek, Cannondale, Felt, and Lamond. Naults of Manchester, NH gave the best deal and had the largest selection around. I also recommend a softer saddle with a good "soft tissue" groove down the middle. I ended up selling mine to a through rider who had a bad case of Monkey Butt from his stiff, light weight saddle. I also recommend Continental Ultra Gator Skins tires. I got 3,000 miles between flats with them. With the stock Giant tires I was getting 150 miles between flats. Have fun on your trip.
Pete