Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Lunch Rides


So we finally got out for some lunch rides after the cold snap. Leave it to New England to throw some snow in the mix between sunny 60º days. "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes."

(Pictured left: The two "Swing"ers I ride with at lunch. Yeah, we don't shower afterwards, and surprisingly no complaints yet...)

Yesterday felt really tough, more than just fighting the headwind that never let up. Today, felt much better. I sunk in behind Keith and James for a bit at the beginning, and it reminded me how incredibly effective slipstreams are at increasing speed and longevity of a ride! Needless to say, I soon cranked up to the lead and pushed the wind the rest of the ride. Hey, there were hills, what could I do? Not attack? Ha!

Oh, I'm going with the 52 despite some advice to go smaller. Most have agreed with the rationale that I can always get smaller components to fit the bike to me best. On the other hand, a friend says that it'll be tough to work up to the core strength (abs and traps) for good posture - and she's a P2S alum working as a physical trainer. I hope my core strength's pretty good, or I'll have to just thank her for the unheeded advice.

1 comment:

Keith D. said...

Nice Photos Evan. Its good to be back out riding at lunch. Keeps me human. Too bad its snowing again today. Crazy weather. If only your body blocks the wind like James and I do. I might actually catch a break when your out in front. But pedaling behind you is the same amount of wind as I'm in the lead. Yes James, I chose the words in the last sentence very carefully. For all you bike and build co riders. Don't count on Evan for a draft.

Good luck with your new bike. The Trek 1500 is really nice. Your going to fly on it. Get your self some extra tubes.